Know Before You Burn

Burn Authorization Information

Activities That Require a Burn Authorization

The following activities require a burn authorization from the Florida Forest Service:

  • Agricultural burning
  • Silvicultural burning
  • Land clearing
  • Pile burning
  • Acreage burning

Activities That Do NOT Require a Burn Authorization

You do not need a burn authorization to burn yard waste as long as:

  • The pile is less than 8 feet in diameter.
  • You meet the required setbacks.
  • There are no local, city or county ordinances in place that prohibit burning.
Picture: Illustration of setbacks for yard waste

How to Get a Burn Authorization

Please read Steps to Getting an Authorization then contact the Suwannee Florida Forest Service to obtain a burn authorization.



Map showing forestry Field Unit areas